Ormond Cricket Club has its roots going back to the turn of last Century. However, the formation of the Club as it exists today started with brief stints in the Brighton District Cricket Association and the Frankston-Glenhuntly Cricket Association before joining the Caulfield District Cricket Association for the 1930-31 season. Ormond began playing at its present ground around 1924 /1925 which was named Ormond Park. The first pavilion was built in 1927 largely using club labour. The original plan was to build along Malane Street, but opposition to this site lead to its construction in the south west corner of the park.
Also during the mid 1920s a separate club, also named Ormond Park began using the No. 2 oval at Ormond Park (now EE Gunn Reserve). This arrangement remained until after the Second World War and caused very keen rivalry between the co-tenants.
It was in 1947, along with the prospect of turf cricket, that Ernie Gunn (President) and George Corbett (Secretary) made moves towards amalgamation, and with the cooperation of Ormond Park officials, the merger was achieved prior to the 1947/48 season. The name Ormond Cricket Club was retained and the blue and yellow colours of Ormond Park were taken on board. Ernie Gunn was the President and steered Ormond for the next 24 seasons.
Following the laying of the turf wicket on the main oval at EE Gunn Reserve, the Ormond Cricket Club applied to join the Victorian Turf Cricket Association (VTCA), which was accepted. The Club had to prove itself in the VTCA, and duly won senior premierships in the 1947/48 and 1948/49 seasons. In the 1948/49 season, the Club fielded six senior teams in the VTCA, four teams in the CDCA (matting competition), and three U/16 teams.
In 1949/50, Ormond Cricket Club was admitted to the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association (VSDCA). After settling into the tougher competition, success came with a 2nd XI Premiership in 1954/55. It was a further three seasons before Ormond could claim its inaugural 1st XI Premiership, which turned out to be a very successful season as the 3rd XI also won the Premiership. The following season, the 1st XI defended its Premiership and the Club had cemented itself as a tried and tested affiliate club of the VSDCA. The champion player was Dick Maddocks whose batting feats along with Ken Donald, Jack Zimmer and Colin Allison set up Ormond’s success.
The halcyon days for the Club were the 12 seasons between 1965/66 to 1977/78, during which Ormond won six 1st XI Premierships and two runners-up flags, and a 2nd XI runners-up flag. During this time Ormond could rely on a very strong junior program as well as a number of quality recruits.
There is always a dip after such prolonged success and Ormond experienced that. Changing demographics meant that the club’s junior program was almost wiped out and no one could expect to maintain the core quality of players such as Alan Doble, John Craig, Col Hyland, Ross Chapman, Ted Plant and Mike Patterson.
It was almost 40 years on that the 1st XI secured its ninth VSDCA premiership in 2014/15.
Ormond Cricket Club’s Patron, John Craig along with four-time Premiership Captain, Col Hyland, were selected as two of the 12 inaugural inductees into the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association’s Hall Of Fame. This honour was bestowed on each at the VSDCA’s Centenary Dinner held 21 February 2008.